Friday, June 09, 2006

Home Country

Tropical island is my sunshine home,
The warm and wet conditions are fun to live,
It's simple lifestyle that I have always enjoyed,
Was the strength of my small community.

In the past fishing provided our livelihood,
Most were happy with simple pleasures.
But enter the gas stove and the light bulb,
To replace the firewood and kerosene lamp,
And the much sought after tourist dollar,
Brought sweeping changes everywhere.

The clean and coral sandy roads,
Have given way to an asphalt like surface,
To accommodate the heavy traffic,
Without which the economy cannot sustain.

The spirit of sharing so significant before,
Now finds self moving fast ahead of community
And when I look for modern amenities to get me through,
That's when I know how much I miss the simple lifestyle.


Copyright ©2006 Mohamed Hilmy

No comments: